[78-L] Rachmaninoff on Edison

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Oct 5 21:25:22 PDT 2008

Ron L'Herault wrote:
> I bought a Rocky on Edison DD yesterday.  How many did this "pounder" record
> for Edison?

The legend that Edison declared that Rachmaninoff was a "pounder" after
hearing the first three notes of the Prelude in C# Minor comes from
Ernest L.Stevens.  I heard him tell that story several times myself.
But Jerry Fabris noted to me that Stevens didn't start working for
Edison until after Rachmaninoff had already left them for Victor, so he
couldn't have been there during that audition.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com