[78-L] Glad you guys are back and Radiex Question

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Oct 5 20:32:34 PDT 2008

Donna Halper wrote:
>> Michael Biel (whose work is getting quoted in my PhD dissertation) wrote--
>>
>> You can start with an ARSC Conference presentation.  The call for papers
>> for D.C. was posted a month or two ago.  We've never had a conference in
>> Boston, or anywhere in New England for that matter, and if you can find
>> some way for Emerson or somewhere to host it, your presentation could be
>> the centerpiece.
>>

> I am now an Assistant Professor of Communication as Lesley University
> in Cambridge MA, and would love to get to work on having a conference
> in our area.  Let me know how such things are proposed-- I'm a
> newbie.
This is for you and anybody else on the list.  We usually need someone
to act as local arrangements chair in conjunction with our conference
manager and a local committee.  Most of the time we prefer to have an
institution be the host but as recently as Seattle we've done it without
a host institution.  In fact, I'm not sure if we have an official host
this year in D.C., although LC had always done it there for us in the
past.  We need a place to meet and that could be either a hotel or
meeting spaces at the host institution.  And a room package at a hotel
or a GOOD dorm set-up.  (Last time in D.C. in the late 80s we had a
whole bunch of defections from the flea bitten-university dorm to the
wonderful bed and breakfast we were staying at on Capitol Hill.  This
time in DC we are at what is supposedly a luxury hotel  At that price,
it BETTER be!)
Brenda Nelson-Strauss is the Conference Manager and she would be the one
to contact.
>  I spoke at the 2000 ARSC but haven't been asked to do
> anything further.

Usually you have to be the one doing the asking.  Yes, I asked you and
Elizabeth and several others to speak when I was Program Chair because I
was being pro-active and there were people like you that I wanted to get
involved with ARSC.  I've done five ARSC conferences over the years and
I think that those had my special touch on the program.  But most of the
others work mainly with what comes in from the call for papers.   That
was posted here on the 78-L by Bill Klinger on 9/9/08 at 9:31 PM
Eastern.  It can also be found on the ARSC website at
http://www.arsc-audio.org    David Giovannoni is the Program Chair, and
the deadline for proposals is Jan 5.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com