[78-L] Well Done! - and an Orthophonic Record question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 4 21:13:17 PDT 2008

Maria Fletcher wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I too am new to this list and really appreciate it - so well done to all to
> get such a valuable archive back up and running.
>
> To kick off with a new post, yesterday I found a boxed set on Victor -
> "Musical Masterpieces (Orthophonic Recording) of Franck Symphony in D Minor
> - Stokowski and the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra." M 22 6725.
>
> Each of the Red Seal discs has an overlay sticker on it which says "Special
> Record, " covering the top half of the label - can anyone tell me why this
> is?
>
> regards
> Maria
> Tasmania, Australia

Probably because these were imports to countries where the dog & phonograph
logo was already in use by HMV. Why this album should have these labels is a
mystery because I've seen it on black label HMV. Stokowski rerecorded the
symphony in about 1934..maybe Australian dealers couldn't get this and wanted
the earlier recording.