[78-L] wanted EJs biography Edward J Smith Eddie Smith

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Fri Mar 31 21:07:06 PDT 2023

On 3/31/2023 9:27 PM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> I know you just quoted the article.
> And who was cheating who we'll never now. But it's a bit worrying
> imagining a press agent/ collector deliberately lying about historical
> facts in order to get a larger audience.

Sad to say, hype and exaggeration are very old art forms-- P.T. Barnum
may not have really said "there's a sucker born every minute" but he
certainly shared that belief. There were MANY performers who made up
large portions of their history, or exaggerated their achievements. Many
movie stars, stage actors & actresses, and musicians of the 78 era found
that a little hype went a long way. (And even an inventor like Marconi
could be masterful at manipulating the press to get better coverage...)
Anyway, in Smith's case, he never claimed to be a professor-- but as an
"expert" on recorded music, and a former editor of several respected
publications, he probably was perceived as very knowledgeable. No doubt,
folks didn't realize he had been a publicist. They assumed he was being
honest in the talks that he gave, and it was a much less skeptical era,
so he probably got away with what he claimed about Jenny Lind.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies