[78-L] wanted EJs biography Edward J Smith Eddie Smith

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Fri Mar 31 11:10:22 PDT 2023

On 3/31/2023 10:00 AM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> Jenny Lind recording?
> That would have made him famous.

Seems like a one-of-a-kind item, evidently. So, Smith was not only known
for having worked for numerous music magazines as a critic and an
editor. He was also a record collector, and according to the article I
cited in my previous email, his collection included many rare items. As
I mentioned, Smith and Wysor traveled to events together-- she sang, and
he gave educational presentations. The one scheduled for this time
around--early April 1950-- was called "The Golden Age of Song." In this
talk, taking place at Mary Washington College (where Miss Wysor had
taught previously music), Smith was planning to "illustrate his talk
with a group of recordings which will include a rare one of Jenny Lind,
the only recording of her voice believed in existence outside the
Swedish royal family." The article further goes on to note that Smith
had a record collection of "38,000 items, one of the greatest
collections in this country, drawing on personal acquaintances with many
of the artists represented." Given that both Smith and Wysor did some
presentations and taught courses at Mary Washington College
(Fredericksburg, VA?), perhaps their archivist has further information,
assuming the college still exists.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies