[78-L] Shelving 78s and LPs

Eugene Hayhoe ehayhoe at hotmail.com.invalid
Sat Feb 18 06:59:23 PST 2023

I've used shelving for 78s before, but for the past few years I've gone with milk crates too, but "as intended," not sideways.

Against a lesser trafficked wall, stacked up to 3 high, and most are at least semi-sorted, as in 'this crate is': Fats Waller, big band, '40s R&B, Chicago blues, country, spoken word, etc.  Easy to carry, and as I'm the only one down here 99% of the time, stable enough to be secure. OTOH, kids, dogs, cats, etc. might be problematic for such a system.
My general policy is that if I'm not recording them, I'm not playing them - they're too fragile in my hands to even touch; I've had them snap in 2 just moving from the TT to the sleeve while holding/balancing  them in one hand with a finger in the center hole and thumb on the rim; last one I broke that way was a 5 Jets 78. I'd just gotten it, and had just played both sides for the first time, and no, it didn't get recorded either.  It survived for 60 some years before then...
Gene