[78-L] Mystery Josephine Baker record

Jan Gaudissabois jan at sobie.net.invalid
Tue Feb 14 11:52:04 PST 2023

Hi all, I’ve been trying to identify a Josephine Baker record, but it’s turning into a bit of a mystery record, here’s why :
It’s on the Winner label, 6367, with the Diplomat Novelty Orch on the flipside.
When I look through the record listings of Winner, I noticed that the numbers stop somewhere around 4K, so this 6367 could be either a repressing, possibly from another label, or just a French division of the label, not sure.  The track recorded here is written as “Ev'rybody loves my baby” by Josephine Baker & her Five Red Onions. Though I am unable to find any info on this record nor the “ Five Red Onions”, except for a record on Gennett (5594) by…Josephine Beatty, accompanied by the “Red Onions Jazz Band” which I think is Clarence Williams and co. It’s almost too much of a coincidence….strange.
On the other hand I did find an album / Cd, covering Josephine Baker, which does list a track called “Everyone loves my baby”.
The matrix of the record reads C 10033 G (or maybe 6) , which is actually stamped over a hand written number, and barely readable ending with, probably …2540 x
Any idea ? Thanks !
Jan