[78-L] Eddie Plunkett?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Tue Nov 29 21:12:53 PST 2022

On 11/29/2022 11:22 PM, Ron L"Herault wrote:
> Time to stir up some activity here.  Anyone ever heard of Eddie Plunkett?
> I've got a 78 rpm demo? Sample? Record, one sided, markings: KG-19-4B on
> what looks to be a Columbia pressing (paper layer evident in small edge
> chip) which has a rough texture B side.  The white label says, "BEANO"
> under which is Plunkett and Douglass.  Under that , the musicians are listed
> as, Guitar-Plunket, Piano-Watson, and Bass-Jones.

The Watson referred to was Eddie Watson, who often performed in a jazz
trio with Eddie Plunkett and a guy named Irving Ashby. Not sure about
the Jones person. But Watson and Plunkett and Ashby played a lot of
local clubs in greater Boston in the 30s and 40s. Watson later became an
instructor of music at Berklee College, back when it was called
Schillinger House. I assume the demo was from sometime in the early
1940s. I'll check further.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies