[78-L] Bio of Edith Clifford

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Sun Apr 3 09:03:18 PDT 2022

On 4/3/2022 11:09 AM, Jeffrey Lichtman wrote:
> I have "Learning How to Love" by Edith Clifford (Columbia 664-D) on my
> Youtube channel. Someone named Peter Townsend, a distant cousin of hers,
> just posted a comment with her bio. Back when I had my web jukebox, I
> was unable to find any info about her, and I assume current reference
> materials still don't have much about her.

Just to clarify-- In Billboard magazine, I'm finding a female performer
named Edith Clifford from the 19-teens and 1920s and into the 30s, who
was identified as a vaudeville comedienne, and was often accompanied on
stage by pianist Rex Ingraham; she was a contralto and often referred to
as a "singing comedienne." But in the newspaper databases, I am also
finding mention of a young woman named Edith Clifford from Waukegan IL
whose career began at age 13 and who was championed by Jack Benny; the
mentions are from the late 40s/early 50s.  Same person? Different
person? Wrong person in both cases?

--

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies