[78-L] Audacity and off-center transfers

Rodger J Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Fri Mar 11 15:57:17 PST 2022

Yes, CEDAR is expensive.  When it came out it cost more than my house.  But times have changed and it's down to just a little more than my last two cars.

The question, as noted in the subject line, is whether anybody has mastered AUDACITY's ability to affect this same change. It will increase (and decrease) time and pitch, as I have learned fixing an acappella chorus that went 1/2 step flat, and saved a dragging cassette that took a 45 minute lesson and drug it out to 59 minutes.  Both sent to me from CDs made by somebody else.

The trick with AUDACITY, methinks, is to find a starting point, increase the next 0.3846153846153846 seconds (half a revolution of a 78, the swing out) by X%, then decrease for the same % for the same time (the swing in).  Repeat for 3 minutes.  The % of change, I'm guessing, is a function of how far off-center the 78 was as transferred.   I don't see that as impossible; difficult, to be sure, but not impossible.  To further define the problem, it appears to me that the arc of the needle swinging out and back are probably not linear rates, so there's probably a set of curves to go with it.  Somebody at CEDAR figured all that out and wrote a program for it, which, of course, added to the price.  AUDACITY has a lot of tips for 78 transfers in the manual, and I didn't find any helps there, but my copy is a few years old, so I had some hope that this may have been added.

I transferred a white label party record (pressing, not lacquer) a few years ago that was obviously a dub which was off-center.  I tried off-centering the copy I had to see if I could realign it.  I got close, but not 100%, so I centered it and hoped for a cheap digital solution in the future.  I'd forgotten all about that until now.

I put this question to Google, and the kids there decided that you cannot fix a sun-warped LP this way.  Duh.  Maybe they haven't tried CEDAR.

Rodger Holtin
78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles