[78-L] Audacity and off-center transfers

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com.invalid
Thu Mar 10 16:43:41 PST 2022

On 3/10/2022 6:58 PM, Rodger J Holtin wrote:

> Just picked up a CD of Teddy Wilson Columbias (booklet missing, of course)
> and the first track is off-center.  Rust shows that title as unissued, so
> the source might be a one-only.  C'est la vie.
>
> Anybody else mastered that technique?

Hello Roger and all...

In these cases most often the center hole is punched in the wrong place.  If
you have the disc, this can be fixed by slightly reaming out the hole and then
centering the groove spiral on the disc before transferring it.

CEDAR has a process called ReSpeed that can do just that... take an off center
transfer made from a disc and correct it without the necessity of having the
original disc to do it with!

I've used it to fix an otherwise previously impossible problem where the disc
grooves were oblate, that is, football shaped probably caused by improperly
removing the disc from the record press in the pressing process.

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.