[78-L] Audacity and off-center transfers

Dustin Wittmann dpwittmann at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Mar 10 16:43:40 PST 2022

Definitely don't make off-center transfers to begin with. I use three
rubber mats on my new Technics SP-10R and can raise my tonearm high enough
(plus VTA adjustment) to manually center any record. Timestep sells
modified Technics tables, too, with truncated spindles for a pretty
reasonable price for serious archivists. There are also the belt-driven Rek
O Kut tables sold by Esoteric Sound. I have my trusty Rondine 3 up on eBay
now, for what it's worth.

I've never had any problems with records moving even without spindle
support. There's always a record clamp.

Remember, too, that if you digitize a record at slow speed, you need to do
it flat and then add EQ after re-pitching. If the EQ is present before
that, it will be in the wrong wrong place!

CEDAR Cambridge has a re-speed plugin that can re-pitch records based on
any number of observable factors in the spectrum, but you don't want to
rely on that...few can afford it. I just blew a lot of future record budget
on a system and plan to use it on many of the records that suffer from
inconsistent lathe speeds.

Dustin Wittmann