[78-L] Sony’s recently released complete mono recordings of Eugene Ormandy and Philadelphia S.O.

BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Sat Aug 28 12:40:44 PDT 2021

I’m getting increasingly frustrated with the unreliable quality of reissues of Columbia recordings by Sony; sometimes they’re the best in the business, like the Mahler 1st by Mitropoulous, while at other times they’re muffled and constricted like the ones I’ve auditioned so far from the set mentioned in the subject line!  I look in vain for Dennis Rooney or Seth Winner to be mentioned in the engineering credits but, sadly, their names are absent. Unfortunately, I don’t know how much of the inferior quality is to be blamed on the source material and how much is because of poor mastering. Bottom line, these recordings are almost definitely being remastered for the last time and I for one would be happy to pay a few extra bucks to have the project placed in the hands of responsible, conscientious engineers who will take the time to extract the best possible sound from these historic recordings!