[78-L] Show Biz - Vaude to Video - curious item

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net.invalid
Thu Jun 3 10:51:45 PDT 2021

There was a tie-in book and TV special with the LP. You can find copies of the book online cheap.

Dave Weiner

On 6/3/21, 1:46 PM, "78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com on behalf of ron at fial.com.invalid" <78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com on behalf of ron at fial.com.invalid> wrote:

    I listened to some of the Show Business album for fun.   And it is fun.

    Early in the album, the announcer (George Jessel)  says approximately:  "Lillie Langtry, who
    insisted that a carpet be laid out from her dressing room to the stage, and that it be red.  This
    started the tradition of the red carpet."

    I wanted to know more, so on to (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_carpet) I found:

        "  Oriental carpets in Renaissance painting often show rugs and carpets, patterned but with
    red often the main background colour, laid on the steps to a throne, or on a dais where rulers
    or sacred figures are placed. ."

    Also Wikipedia quotes the Greek play,   Agamemnon,  by Aeschylus, written in 458 BC, with
    a scene:   "When the title character returns from Troy, he is greeted by his wife Clytemnestra
    who offers him a red path to walk upon".      See Wikipedia  - Red Carpet for much more
    history of the Red Carpet..

    OK, my curiosity was satisfied.
    Regardless, show business did take the red carpet to new heights.

    Regards,  Ron Fial