[78-L] Bass Drum on record

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com.invalid
Tue Jan 19 09:57:12 PST 2021

If the problem with recording bass drums was fundamentally about  low
frequencies disturbing the cutting styli, I'd assume that early Electric
recording would have been far more problematic than Acoustic recording.
There were no compressors/limiters in those days and bass frequency 'spikes'
picked-up by a sensitive microphone - that had to faithfully reproduce lo
and hi frequencies at soft and loud volumes - would have presented major new
challenges for recording engineers.
Though drum 'kits' were available by the late teens, my belief is that
drummers still considered themselves as 'percussionists'. They weren't there
to 'drive a rhythm section' - even though the New Orleans style revivalist
bands of the 1940's give this impression. THAT concept didn't really catch
on until the Swing era. It IS true however, that intricate drumming was an
actual feature of Ragtime and Rag-a-Jazz band performances. Not so, when the
smoother sounds of arranged dance music became the fashion.
Tim Huskisson