[78-L] Bass Drum on record

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net.invalid
Tue Jan 19 07:55:04 PST 2021

There's an interesting article by R. S. Baker in the Jan. 2021 edition of
"The Syncopated Times,"  wondering about Bass Drums on records.   The author
notes that very early records had great bass drums on them, and that they
were well recorded but that the practice faded out.     She mentions one
reason that I suspect is the main one, that of excessive wear from the large
excursions of cutter and playback stylus due to the energy recorded by the
drums.    I have some early Columbia 12" disks that have amazing drums,
including bass drums recorded on them.  The disks sound spectacular and look
shiny and well cared for.  I've got others, not so lucky in their care that
do not sound great at all.

Ron L