[78-L] first Christmas album?

Ferenc János Szabó szaboferencjanos at gmail.com.invalid
Mon Dec 14 22:40:37 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

there were two Christmas series of Hungarian gramophone discs in the
acoustic era, recorded in Autumn 1911. Either is a series of -- at least --
6 discs of the BeKa company, on its (Hungarian) Diadal Records label, the
other is a series of 6 discs published by The Gramophone Company. The
performers on both series are members of the Choir of the Royal Hungarian
Opera, on the BeKa discs as male choir, on the GC discs as a male vocal
quartet. The repertoire consists of Hungarian and international Christmas
songs and some Hungarian religious hymns. Although I have not seen an
"album" publication of these discs, the continuous catalogue numbers
clearly indicate that the discs were regarded as a series. If you are
interested in that, see my article: *„From Church Hymns to the »Church
Scene«. Religious Songs on Hungarian Gramophone Records (1900–1920)”. *In:
Pekka Gronow – Christiane Hofer – Frank Wonneberg (szerk.): Contributions
to the History of the Record Industry. Beiträge zur Geschichte der
Schallplattenindustrie. Vol. 7 (Wien: Gesellschaft für Historische
Tonträger, 2016): 164–172.

With best wishes from Budapest,
Ferenc János Szabó

David Lennick <dplennick at yahoo.com.invalid> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. dec.