[78-L] AFM ban discography

Rodger J Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Aug 26 12:29:57 PDT 2020

For almost as many years as I've collected 78s I've been curious about the
records made during the AFM recording ban of 1942-44.  While we'll probably
never know what the renegades like Oberstein did during that period, the
records made by singers with acappella-accompaniment for the major labels is
a finite list.

With the resource of

http://www.78discography.com/

and a little clarification from

https://sinatrafamily.com/session/index.php

I've made a tentative list which I have pasted in below.

I've never seen any acappella records on Capitol and the only OKeh that I've
been able to find is one by the Golden Gate Quartet, and I see that Ty's
list has a note on one of them indicating an August 1942 date.

I listed the Four Vagabonds on Bluebird as the dates indicate they were
recorded during the ban.  I finally found a copy of Rosie The Riveter and  I
Had The Craziest Dream on 30-0810, but a close listen reveals that it has
some kind of stringed instrument - I'm guessing a tiple.  Years ago I read
that somebody got by with that since the tiple was not recognized as a
legitimate instrument by the union.  I doubted the story at the time I heard
it, so perhaps I have finally found that one and proved it to be correct.
Haven't heard the other sides, so I don't know about them.

Have also heard that Petrillo was singularly unhappy with this situation and
called in other unions to stop their members; i.e.: Actor's Guild to stop
some singers, and IBEW to stop the recording engineers.  If anybody can
confirm or correct those items, I'd like to know about that, too.

Any additions/corrections/suggestions, let me know.

Bluebird          30-0810A        Four Vagabonds         ROSIE THE RIVETER
D3AB5           1/15/1943

Bluebird          30-0810B        Four Vagabonds         I HAD THE CRAZIEST
DREAM    D3AB3            1/15/1943

Bluebird          30-0811A        Four Vagabonds         ROSE ANN OF CHARING
CROSS D3AB4            1/15/1943

Bluebird          30-0811B        Four Vagabonds         TEN LITTLE SOLDIERS
D3AB6-1        1/15/1943

Bluebird          30-0822A        The Four King Sisters MAIRZY DOATS
D4AB28         5/1/1944

Bluebird          30-0822B        The Four King Sisters ITS LOVE      D4AB29
5/1/1944

Bluebird          30-0824A        The Four King Sisters San Fernando Valley
D4VB70         3/22/1944

Bluebird          30-0824B        The Four King Sisters Milkman, Keep Those
Bottles Quiet  D4VB69            3/22/1944

Bluebird          30-0829A        The Four King Sisters The Trolley Song
D4AB233       8/17/1944

Bluebird          30-0829B        The Four King Sisters (All of a Sudden) My
Heart Sings      D4AB232            8/17/1944

Columbia         36678  FRANK SINATRA    CLOSE TO YOU       CO33249
6/7/1943

Columbia         36678  FRANK SINATRA    YOU'LL NEVER KNOW     CO33251
6/7/1943

Columbia         36679  FRANK SINATRA    SUNDAY MONDAY OR ALWAYS
CO33268            6/22/1943

Columbia         36679  FRANK SINATRA    IF YOU PLEASE       CO33269
6/22/1943

Columbia         36682  FRANK SINATRA    PEOPLE WILL SAY WE'RE IN LOVE
CO33250=6            6/7/1943

Columbia         36682  FRANK SINATRA    OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNIN'
CO33283=1            8/5/1943

Columbia         36687  FRANK SINATRA    I COULDN'T SLEEP A WINK LAST NIGHT
CO33368=1            11/3/1943

Columbia         36687  FRANK SINATRA    A LOVELY WAY TO SPEND AN EVENING
CO33373=3            11/10/1943

Columbia         36693  GINNY SIMMS         SUDDENLY IT'S SPRING   HCO965
1/28/1944

Columbia         36693  GINNY SIMMS         IRRESISTABLE YOU          HCO966
1/28/1944

Decca  18553A           The SONG SPINNERS         COMIN' IN ON A WING AND A
PRAYER            71338  5/4/1943

Decca  18553B           The SONG SPINNERS         JOHNNY ZERO        71340
5/4/1943

Decca  18554A           SONG SPINNERS     STALIN WASN'T STALLIN'
71337  5/4/1943

Decca  18554B           SONG SPINNERS     LOVE IS GOIN' TO BE RATIONED
71339  5/4/1943

Decca  18556A           DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        YOU'LL NEVER KNOW
71378            5/27/1943

Decca  18556B           DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        WAIT FOR ME, MARY
71377            5/27/1943

Decca  18557A           DICK HAYMES and The SONG SPINNERS          IN MY
ARMS 71379A            5/27/1943

Decca  18557B           DICK HAYMES and The SONG SPINNERS          IT CAN'T
BE WRONG            71380A           5/27/1943

Decca  18558A           DICK HAYMES and the SONG SPINNERS           I HEARD
YOU Cried LAST NIGHT           71426AA        6/22/1943

Decca  18558B           DICK HAYMES and the SONG SPINNERS           I NEVER
MENTION YOUR NAME 71425AA        6/22/1943

Decca  18560  DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        GERTIE FROM BIZERTE
71392  6/14/1943

Decca  18560  DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        THERE'S A STAR SPANGLED
BANNER WAVING SOMEWHERE    71391  6/14/1943

Decca  18561A           BING CROSBY         SUNDAY, MONDAY OR ALWAYS
L3172  8/2/1943

Decca  18561B           BING CROSBY & DARBY SINGERS        IF YOU PLEASE
L3173  8/2/1943

Decca  18562A           SPORTSMEN GLEE CLUB WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE INFANTRY?
L3179  8/6/1943

Decca  18562B           SPORTSMEN GLEE CLUB KE-TOKY-I-O           L3177
8/6/1943

Decca  18564A           BING CROSBY and TRUDY ERWIN with The Sportsmen Glee
Club       PEOPLE WILL SAY WE'RE IN LOVE           L3181A
8/23/1943

Decca  18564B           BING CROSBY and TRUDY ERWIN with The Sportsmen Glee
Club       OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING L3182A           8/23/1943

Decca  18565A           DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        PUT YOUR ARMS
AROUND ME, HONEY          71433  9/7/1943

Decca  18565B           DICK HAYMES & SONG SPINNERS        FOR THE FIRST
TIME         71434            9/7/1943

Decca  18566A           KAY ARMEN & BALLADIERS     HOW SWEET YOU ARE
71436  9/15/1943

Decca  18566B           KAY ARMEN & BALLADIERS     THE DREAMER       71435
9/15/1943

Decca  18568A           KAY ARMEN & BALLADIERS     LATER TONIGHT    71437
9/15/1943

Decca  18568B           KAY ARMEN & BALLADIERS     CUDDLE UP A LITTLE
CLOSER, LOVEY MINE  71438  9/15/1943

Okeh   6712    GOLDEN GATE JUBILEE QT         STALIN WASN'T STALLIN'
33183=1            3/5/1943

Okeh   6713    GOLDEN GATE JUBILEE QT         COMIN' IN ON A WING AND A
PRAYER            33216  5/19/1943

Victor  20-1538-A       PERRY COMO          GOODBYE SUE       ?
6/20/1943

Victor  20-1538-B       PERRY COMO          THERE'LL SOON BE A RAINBOW
?          6/20/1943

Victor  20-1548           PERRY COMO          HAVE I STAYED AWAY TOO LONG?
?          12/1/1943

Victor  20-1548           PERRY COMO          I'VE HAD THIS FEELING BEFORE
?          12/1/1943

Victor  20-1562           DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     NOW I KNOW
?          -

Victor  20-1562           DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     I COULDN'T SLEEP A
WINK LAST          ?            -

Victor  20-1569           PERRY COMO          I LOVE YOU ?          2/8/1944

Victor  20-1569           PERRY COMO          LONG AGO   ?          2/8/1944

Victor  20-1586           DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     I'LL WALK ALONE ?
-

Victor  20-1586           DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     IT COULD HAPPEN TO
YOU         ?          -

Victor  20-1592           PERRY COMO          LILI MARLENE        ?
6/27/1944

Victor  20-1592           PERRY COMO          FIRST CLASS PRIVATE MARY BROWN
?          6/27/1944

Victor  20-1594-A       DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     TOGETHER   ?
ca June 1944

Victor  20-1594-B       DINAH SHORE w Mixed Chorus     I LEARNED A LESSON
I'LL NEVER FORGET            ?          ca June 1944

Rodger Holtin

78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles

--