[78-L] Best decade for popular music?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Mon Aug 3 17:55:47 PDT 2020

Graham wrote--

> I think I prefer 1960's.  I worked in Top 40 radio with CHUM-1050 here in
> Toronto and the whole decade was vibrant!

Funny you say that-- I'd nominate the 1950s. The culture (along with
radio) was transitioning away from big band, and towards a more youthful
kind of music -- top-40.  Suddenly, you could hear everything from
crooners to r&b singers, from Perry Como to Elvis Presley, from what is
today called "doo-wop" to pop, and everything in between.  Top-40 in its
formative years was still very exciting and experimental and hadn't
become formulaic yet.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies