[78-L] Sinatra Question

kil at roadrunner.com.invalid kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Wed Jul 22 05:25:02 PDT 2020

	That's fascinating stuff. Thanks Donna & Taylor. Sinatra's HUCKLE
BUCK was recorded April 10, while Wiki says Haymer died on April 11,
so it seems he did not die immediately. Or another possibility is that
it was a late night session and the accident happened after midnight.

	But I still didn't get the Haymer connection to "Moose". I think you
are on the right track Kristjan. I knew of the remote connection of
Bull Moose Jackson to the tune, but still didn't understand why
Sinatra would say that. Since the same phrase has been carried over,
that has to be somehow the reason. Thanks Kristjan. By the way, your
attachment won't won't open on my computer.

	RayK

	-----------------------------------------From: "Kristjan Saag"

 On Paul Williams' original from December 1948 someone shout's "Not
now -
 I'll tell you when!" at the end of the recording, and a similar shout
is
 heard on Lionel Hampton's cover from May 1949, as well as on
Sinatra's
 recording. Obviously these shouts are thought to be part of the dance

 instructions.
 The song itself is based on Charlie Parker's "Now's The Time" - Paul
 William's picked it up after having heard Lucky Millinder's
arrangement
 of it around 1947-1948. The song was then called "D'Natural Blues".
 Bullmoose Jackson was, at the time, member of the Milllinder band.
 So Bullmoose Jackson is a good guess.
 Although it was Paul Williams who started to associate the song with
the
 Hucklebuck dance...

 More at:
 > Elman, L. Mach, G. Seaberg, R. Zarchy Trombones - G. Jenkins, S.
 >> Leutner, R. McGarrity Saxes - H. Beau, F. Chase, M. Cohan, A.
 >> Gershunoff, H. Haymer, F. Stuice Piano - M. McIntyre Guitar - A.
 >> Reuss Bass - P. Stephens Drums - R. Hagen Harp - M. Hogan Cambern
 >> Conductor - Axel Stordahl RayK
 >> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com

 ---

Links: