[78-L] Big Band Era

Iñigo Cubillo icubilloes at outlook.es.invalid
Sun Jun 28 02:41:15 PDT 2020

A little aside... You mentioned Ellington... He was unique among the uniques. I always listen to his records and tell myself (or my wife, when she stops for a while to listen to my old records) : 'just compare this sound with what others were doing at the same time'. The comparison only highlights still more the tremendous originality of his work, being himself's or being the outcome from a collective arrangement work, led by him, but with the collaboration of his bunch of musicians, really composers and arrangers, some with strong musical personalities, as were Strayhorn, Hodges, Tizol or many of the important men that formed his orchestras along such long musical career. It all is unique, sounds unique and makes a real world apart. At least it's how this profane music lover feels the 'Ellington Phenomenon'.
My first contact with his music was the 1934 Victor recording of 'Live and Love Tonight' 24617 — Mx. pb 79157 2 <ve> — Rec. 1934 04 12 hollywood ca. I was then a teenager, and fell in love immediately with this, music. My next birthday I was asked by a friend's mother which record I wanted as a birthday present, and I asked 'any one by Ellington'. It was at the time of his death, in late 1975. She presented me with an Lp full of the (later identified when acquiring his Capitol 78s) 1950s capitol recordings, all magnificent: Smiles, If I give my love to you, Flamingo, Cocktails for two,... and The one which I know still by heart, and has been always my favourite, the incredible six minutes rendition of Flying Home.