[78-L] Fw: Seeking background information, history of Mezzotone Record Company Inc.

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Fri Apr 24 20:47:04 PDT 2020

On 4/24/2020 10:30 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Not Sam Manning the calypso performer? That would seem an odd connection.

I'm not sure it's the same guy either. In the late 30s, Sam Manning was
advertised in Kingston Jamaica's newspapers as a "world famous colored
comedian" and he was also an impresario who put on shows. But yes, there
was indeed a Sam Manning who performed calypso, and according to the
newspaper article I found about the 1947 inception of Mezzotone, calypso
was going to be one of the kinds of music the label would offer... so
maybe it is the same guy after all?

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies