[78-L] Records about records - was: RE: Playing a broken 78

J. E. Knox rojoknox at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Apr 12 16:59:40 PDT 2020

Greetings from RojoLand!

> On 8 Apr 2020, at 19:16, Rodger J Holtin <rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> In my meager collection I have these:
>
> <snip>
>
> Dinah's Blues - Dinah Shore w Dixieland Octet of NBC Chamber Music Society Lower Basin Street – she sings “I came down to Victor to sing my blues for you”

A good one! Victor 27303-B (Set P 56-4).

> <snip>
>
> Juke Box Saturday Night – the Miller Bluebird…

Not on Bluebird — that was Victor 20-1509-A.

In the same vein, though, did anyone mention "The Nickel Serenade"? Glenn Miller played it on the air but didn't record it commercially. There are 78s by Art Jarrett and his Orchestra [Hal Kemp's outfit after Kemp was killed] on Victor 27571-B, Sonny Dunham and his Orchestra on Bluebird B-11253-A, Les Brown and his Orchestra on OKeh 6377, The Andrews Sisters on Decca 3960 B. (Didn't see one on Columbia aside from the postwar reissue of the Les Brown side on Columbia 38554.)

And there's "Juke Box Jump" by The Hi-Flyers (OKeh 06396). Probably a few more regarding juke boxes.

Could we even go so far as to include the Romeo sample record (Nov. 1927) which states at its end, "On the 're-voice' side of this 'rekkid' you will find one of the latest hits, a sample of a Romeo 'rekkid,' sold exclusively by Kress 'stoahs' at 'twenny-five' cents." [Anyone happen to know who announced that recording?]

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"