[78-L] Playing a broken 78

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com.invalid
Tue Apr 7 05:03:23 PDT 2020

Since I'm ever so locked down at present I was sorting and correcting
the database of records that I have and trying to remove duplicates
entries and so on.

Sadly, I encountered a small number (so far) of discs that have broken
in the storage box they were in. Some are likely to be replaceable. Some
will not be missed. One I would like to replace but in the mean time I
plan to try and glue it back together so that I can record it and clean
up the recording with Audacity. The subject is a Muddy Waters Chess disc
'Don't Go No Farther' bw 'Diamonds At Your Feet'.

I've never tried this before. I see from posts of long ago that Elmers
Glue is the preferred material. I've never seen that but I'm taking it
to be a white craft glue and I'll manage to find something similar.

There are , however, a number of questions about technique. Do you coat
the whole of the edge? Or just the ends. There would seem to be a risk
that the glue will fill the groove to some degree particularly where the
break is actually along the arc as is the case here. Do you wash off the
excess? When you play it are you planning to dig out the remaining
excess with the stylus? Is it better to do that before it has fully
hardened?

What risk is there that the repaired disc will damage the stylus? Shall
I use a semi disposable microgroove stylus first?

One exponent on you tube stated that what you should do is lay it up on
cooking foil so that the disc doesn't stick. Is that a sensible thing or
an old wives tale?

If anyone can provide an insight I'll be most grateful.

Best Regards,

Doug

--
Doug Duncan