[78-L] Catching Up on Deleted Emails - and War of the Worlds

DKing ginku_ledovec at att.net.invalid
Fri Apr 3 06:03:03 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

[ this is going to read like a stream of consciousness ]

Among the 78-L emails I deleted, I think it was Rodger who
wrote that the old “War of the Worlds” story about that broadcast
causing panic - didn’t agree with what really happened.

Thanks for the tip about looking for Dr. Biel’s dissertation,
 "The Making and Use of Recordings in Broadcasting Before 1936.”

Kristjan, you don’t have to put in any work on that archived
conversation you all had about “War of the Worlds” - the real
story.  I’ll look for Dr. Biel’s work and see what I learn from that.

Hold the presses:  I just saw the internet link posted by Dave
Lennick for online copy of that dissertation.

Thanks Dave!  I just downloaded the pdf version of Dr. Biel’s
dissertation.

And thanks to Malcolm for also suggesting the dissertation.

Before I forget:  I remember as a kid watching TV and for some
shows the narrator at beginning (or end?) of show credits
announced something about transcription or "transcribed by”,
all taking place in 1950’s or 1960’s.

Rodger, I remember as a kid watching TV and for some
shows the narrator at beginning (or end?) of show credits
announced something about transcription or "transcribed by”,
all taking place in end of TV shows in 1950’s or 1960’s.

Kristjan, thanks for capturing that email chain in 2013 about
War of the Worlds.  I hope it wasn’t too much work for you.

Malcolm, you’re welcome!  I didn’t expect transcriptions
could have so many types.  i just read what you wrote
about what constitutes a transcription,.  After reading it
througnh once, I think I have a lot more to learn.

I’ll have to reread what you wrote  a few times to see if I
understand the distinctions you made between a number
of possibilities.

Dave Weiner - after your message, now I have to rent
or stream “Laura” to watch the part you mentioned.

DB (Burnham) - to best of my knowledge there is no
78 caliber ammunition.  And I overlooked what you
pointed out:  if a song or piece of music is very, very
good in 1920’s or 1930’s - good chance that other
people recorded that song after the demise of 78’s.

DB, I also have a broad taste in music.  My iTunes
music library makes my head spin, and I was the one
who downloaded all of it.

Donna - thanks for link in Slate about War of the Worlds
and the mythology still attached to it.

I hope I didn’t miss replying to anyone.  From the storm
of WOTW messages and other things it was hard to
tell.  And my tired old eyes said, “enough”.

Thanks to all of you, lots of good info on transcriptions
and WOTW.

- Dave King