[78-L] Favorite Music or Song that Only Appears on 78's?

BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Wed Apr 1 14:30:47 PDT 2020

Don’t apologize, this is our hobby and we all enjoy discussing the world of 78s!

One interesting fact, coins, stamps and baseball cards were always known as coins, stamps and baseball cards, but 78s were not known as 78s until after the 78 era. If you went into a record store in 1946 and asked if they sold 78s, they probably wouldn’t know what you’re talking about; they might think you’re looking for ammunition for your hunting rifle!  (I’m obviously not a gun expert and don’t know if there is such a caliber.)

Regarding your question, there are lots of musicians I enjoy who didn’t live long enough to record after the 78 era, but any record that’s worth hearing has been transcribed to more modern media formats. For 78s that I have transferred to CDs for my own use and that have never been updated to my knowledge, I would include “Comus Ballet Suite” by Constant Lambert, Stephen Foster music performed by Nathanial Shilkret, (an incredibly well recorded set for 1926, and I don’t believe the program to be racially offensive), and the Émile Coté Christmas Albums. I have broad taste in music!

db

Sent from my iPhone