[78-L] For 78's, What Does Transcription Mean?

Ron Roscoe jamesw.henryb at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Apr 1 13:48:35 PDT 2020

Imagine that:  electrical transcription!!  I don't know if there was any other kind.

When someone says "transcription" to me, I always think of 16" instantaneous" lacquer over aluminum base [glass during WW2] recordings made in a radio station.  These were almost always 33 1/3 rpm 3mil or 1mil grooved discs that played for up to either 15 minutes or 30 minutes per side, a nice capability for radio broadcast.  Many were pressed into vinyl and used by NBC, CBS, ABC etc. for distribution of radio shows across the country when the show couldn't be broadcast simultaneously nationwide to every market.

I have a nice set of three lacquers of the first Bing Crosby show for Philco in December 1946, with Jimmy Durante.  33 1/3 rpm, 1 mil grooves.
I have no information on why these were made, I do know that Bing worked with Jack Mullen and Ampex to get his show distributed on early tape recordings.  He advertised on this show the Philco "Bing Crosby" slide-in radio phonograph, probably the model 46-1201.  [I own the later model 49-1401 with the "boomerang" speaker deck.]

Ron Roscoe