[78-L] Three Questions

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Fri Mar 6 03:54:10 PST 2020

This was sent by Cary Ginell to the list on July 18 2007:

--

hoo-HAA has now listed an earlier Ray Charles Swing Time 78 than the one
that was professed to be his "first record." This one is a DJ copy and is set at

_http://cgi.ebay.com/RAY-CHARLES-What-Have-I-Done-RARE-BLUES-78-DJ-Advance_W0Q
QitemZ300131512047QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem_

(http://cgi.ebay.com/RAY-CHARLES-What-Have-I-Done-RARE-BLUES-78-DJ-Advance_W0QQitemZ300131512047QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
)

In checking  the four 78s I have featuring Charles from this era, I noticed
that they are all  on different variations of Jack Lauderdale's label. The
first is on Down Beat  (171), the second on Swing (178), the third on Swing Beat
(212) and the  fourth on Swing Time (300), all with similar designs (the
silhouetted conductor  surrounded by notes). Apparently Lauderdale went through a
transition period  before finally settling on Swing Time.

Cary  Ginell
Origin Jazz  Library
www.originjazz.com

--------