[78-L] Why Do You Care About 78's?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Thu Mar 5 20:23:40 PST 2020

I care about 78s for several reasons.  One is because that's what my
late parents loved, and that's what was played in our home when I was
growing up. I became familiar with so many amazing songs-- some of which
are not available anywhere else; listening to those songs helps me to
keep my parents' memory alive.  The other reason is I'm a media
historian, and 78s are an important part of radio history, as well as
music industry history. It's important for me to know who was recording
which songs, who had hits, who got airplay, how were songs promoted in
those days (like, who were the song-pluggers and how did they do their
job?), what labels existed back then, who were the local performers from
my city (Boston) who became nationally-known, etc. I find the history of
the music industry and the history of radio equally fascinating, and
learning about 78s has enhanced my knowledge of both.  And a comment
about another post-- I am also a stamp collector, and have been since I
was a kid.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies