[78-L] testing-1-2-3

Rodger J Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Jan 19 10:46:52 PST 2020

Malcom,

It may be that your inquiry about VHS tapes put a chill on the 78rpm
proceedings.  :-)

Guessing nobody had a good answer for you.  Wish I did.

I have a deal with a friend of mine in the next town - I transfer records,
reels and audio cassettes, and he does the video tape stuff.  I scored a
still-in-the-box rewinder at Goodwill a few months ago and gave it to him.

If I was more of a techie than I am, I would love to build a tape transport
for audio and VHS cassettes that would allow the user to remove the tape
from the problematic plastic cartridge that hides the tape from the users
watchful view while playing, rewinding etc.  My friend has toyed with the
idea but hasn't done it yet.

It seems to me that's the only way to get the tape clean.  As long as it's
still hidden in that black box, it's probably holding more hidden dirt and
dust bunnies.  Oh, to chuck the cassette and keep the tape.

I'm sure somebody has built one, but like the Archeophone, it costs more
than my car.

Rodger Holtin
78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles