[78-L] 60 Years of Music America Loves Best

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com.invalid
Sat Jan 4 13:27:49 PST 2020

I received Vol One as a Bar Mitzvah present in early November 1959. It sold for $3.98 — not $4.98 as someone mentioned — with a removable oval red sticker (which was not on my copy, of course) which you can see on some eBay copies. Heavily promoted and highly discounted, it sold like hot cakes. In the mid-1960s RCA included a multi-page list of their million selling records printed in 7x7 inches in the envelope of their DJ service of 45s. Included in that list was every track that was in that album, but with their original singles number or the current Gold Standard Series number. They apparently included the sales of this album into the prior sales figures. Volume Two did not sell as well, and I bought my copy in the mid-1960s in the cut-out section on the second floor of Sam Goody Philadelphia. Volume Three was split into two single LPs for $1.98 each. This time one disc was black label LPM. The other 5 discs had been Red Seal LM.