[78-L] Vertical and Lateral

Douglas M. Elliot dme3 at cornell.edu.invalid
Tue Oct 22 09:07:51 PDT 2019

True for just about all lateral electrical recording systems, not just
Victor's, which was of course Western Electric...if you record with
constant velocity, the groove amplitude gets greater with decreasing
frequency and the result is bass that can't be tracked effectively as
well as shorter playing time.  Despite the lack of established
standards, most companies made the same decision to record with constant
amplitude below 200 or 250Hz, resulting in a roll-off of about 6dB per
octave below the turnover point.  It was the birth of the "curve", which
over time included treble pre-emphasis & various turnover points &
shelves, etc.

Having said that, there was "sweetening" added to that basic curve
almost from the start.  The Western Electric equipment contained a
rather complex bass filter with multiple settings that could be adjusted
for each recording.  Though I don't have any documentary evidence,  my
ears tell me that Victor (and possibly others) developed a unique "house
sound" that probably involved electronics as well as miking and studio
acoustics.  Anyone have any info on this? After listening to thousands
of Victors, particularly, it's something I've always wondered about.