[78-L] Everything that traffic will allow

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Sun Apr 21 22:00:11 PDT 2019

Possible profanity on 78s (definite in at least 2 instances):

My Sweet Hunk'a Trash..Louis Armstrong & Billie Holiday (Satch appears to say
'F*ck 'em, baby' and enough people complained about it that Milt Gabler edited
it to make the word sound like something else..can't remember what)

Barnacle Bill the Sailor..Hoagy Carmichael (Joe Venuti is saying what many hear
as 'Said Barnacle Bill the Sh*thead' or 'Barnacle Bill the Sh*tter)..nobody
ever censored this

Trains by Reginald Gardiner..in the quick dialogue bits imitating the train
wheels, Reggie very clearly says 'Suckityourself' and the CBC certainly never
noticed this

Caldonia..Woody Herman..possible profanity during Chubby Jackson's solo. (Think
there's another big band example from this period.)

dl