[78-L] Oldtimers query

ron at fial.com.invalid ron at fial.com.invalid
Tue Apr 9 15:45:04 PDT 2019

The 78-L list started in 1992.   Douglas Elliott started it and it was hosted on the Cornell
University's email server.  At some point later  either Columbia kicked it off their mainframe
computer or it became too time consuming for Doug, and he got me to take it over.  I think it
initially used themainframe Listserv mailing list software written by Eric Thomas, later ported
to Unix machines by L-Serve. Doug E. would have most information about it and the
beginnings.

Initially I moved the list to various maillist server companies, some were very hard to deal
with and put advertising in the emails, so in 2000 or so I moved it to a Red Hat LInux
machine with Majordomo mail list software, running with the Sendmail mail server.

Later when Sendmail has some serious security problems and became too complex to
maintain, I moved it to SusE Linux running the Mailman mail-list software, running with the
very secure Postfix mail server.   It currently exists that way as a SusE Linux 'virtual Machine'
running on an i7 server in my company's server room.

 I contribute the expenses for power, yearly Domain name registration, DNS services, IP
connectivity, etc.  as a gift to the members.  I do not need any contributions or anything like
that --I have tried to stay true to the original purpose of the list.   The entire machine is
backed up weekly along with other servers to hard disks,  the backups are rotated through a
local banks vault,  So the last two weeks of backups are always stored underground.  I
learned to do this the hard way.

I do have a collection of about 7,000  78s, all shelved, takes up and entire half of my two car
garage.  I have two Victorolas and a nice Orthophonic, and Dual and Audio Technica
turntables with cartridges and 78 styli.  I am an electronics designer first, but my wife and I
are past choral singers, done musicals and operas, even toured the far east in a USO show.
We enjoy all types of music (well, country not so much :)

Regards,
   Ron Fial