[78-L] Oldtimers query

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Thu Apr 4 20:13:10 PDT 2019

On 4/4/2019 10:38 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> I joined in'98, but don't remember how I found out about it. That was when Steve Barr kept telling the same line about his "half vast" collection.

The earliest email of yours to the list I have is from 19 January 1998.
It was on a thread about Carl Perkins.

Carl Perkins was one of those few artists who never made a bad record.
He drew upon country, blues, R&B, and jump influences to really become
the backbone of the Sun Records rockabilly style. It was Perkins who
took Blind Lemon Jefferson's "Match Box Blues" and cover it in a fashion
that it became palatable for budding guitarists to copy such as George
Harrison.

In 1996, Perkins participated in a fantastic tribute album to himself
called "Go Cat Go." It included Carl joining forces with disciples such
as John Fogerty, Tom Petty, Paul Simon, George Harrison, Willie Nelson,
Johnny Cash, Ringo Starr, and Paul McCartney. One of my favorite Perkins
records was a 1975 Mercury single called "The E.P. Express," whose
lyrics worked their way around Elvis Presley song titles.

Of course, Perkins made 78s for Sun and the extremely rare Flip label
("Movie Magg" on Flip 501). I have a number of Perkins Suns and wouldn't
trade 'em for anything.
Although Perkins never really changed with the times, his music and
style always fit whatever he was doing and who he was performing with,
whether it was with Johnny Cash's country band in the late 60s or
backing the Judds in the 80s. That's the mark of an enduring and
influential artist. He will be missed.

Cary Ginell
Sound Thinking Music Research

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies