[78-L] Gender benders and publishers

Rodger J Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Mon Mar 25 20:07:17 PDT 2019

Can somebody send me whatever Michael Musto wrote in those liner notes?

I remember two early discussions of this.  The first was when I was but a
kid of 19 at the Coon-Sanders bash way back in 1970.  Gennett bandleader
Curt Hitch, Goldkette trombonist Bill Rank and collector Bob Fertig were
laughing at the mention of the "Girl In Your Arms" Bessinger vocal, and
after some disparaging remark about it, Rank said, "yeah, the publisher made
Victor do that."  Perhaps there was more to the discussion, but that's all I
remember.  Later, possibly in the 70s or 80s I read a little discussion of
that from some critic/author like George Simon, or James T. Maher, or
somebody of that stature, and again the upshot was the folks at ASCAP or
individual publishing houses took a dim view of anybody changing their
stuff, even to make more sense.  That it does not seem to have been equally
applied over all circumstances, and we can plausibly explain away some of
these, and it seems to have been less of an issue the later in the 78-era we
go, none of that really alters the possible fact that at least some
publishers had that kind of policy in place, and that's what I'd like to
track down, if possible.

Rodger Holtin
78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles