[78-L] Mike Biel's emil

Douglas Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net.invalid
Tue Feb 12 12:41:48 PST 2019

 I just sent a notice to Nathan Georgitis, at ARSC.
Doug Pomeroy

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:48:18 -0800
From: Jeffrey Lichtman <jeff at swazoo.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Mike Biel hacked
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>, 78L
    <78-L at 78online.com>,    "78-c at yahoogroups.com" <78-c at yahoogroups.com>,
    ARSCLIST <ARSCLIST at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>

Someone's email has been hacked, but it probably isn't Mike's. Usually
when this happens, some sort of malware infects someone's machine and
uses that person's address book to send a bunch of messages. The "From:"
address is spoofed, i.e. faked, using one of those addresses, so that it
looks like it came from one person's machine but actually came from
another. This makes it hard to figure out whose machine has been hacked,
which is the purpose of the spoofing. It looks like it came from Mike,
but probably came from somewhere else.

78-L strips off attachments, which means that any email we get through
the list is safe. Be careful with any emails you get off-list. Also, be
sure your virus protection and firewall software are up to date.