[78-L] Phil Napolean - Classical soloist

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Wed Feb 6 03:08:59 PST 2019

Might be that he played classical stuff while working as studio musician
for NBC, which he did, on and off, from the late 1920's until the end of
the 1940's. The NBC Orchestra played classical music
regularly, but also had a dance orchestra. Phil Napoleon could well have
been playing with both.
Although he got his classical training early and performed publicly at
five, it's most unlikely that Phil Napoleon recorded classical music as
a teenager in the 1910's. In his late teens he was already heavily into
jazz.
Here's a well written account of Phil Napoleon's trumpet playing and of
the classical elements in it:
https://yestercenturypop.com/tag/phil-napoleon/

Kristjan