[78-L] international shipping?

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Thu Jan 24 09:13:05 PST 2019

I don't think I've see this mentioned here before, and I may be the only
one on the planet that didn't know about it since I don't have Facebook,
but here goes. I recently found a 78 on eBay that I wanted and won the
auction. Record sold for a very nice price and it's in England. Turns
out there's some kind of shipping agreement eBay, as a business, has
with Britain and, I am assuming, most other international sellers.
Turns out there's a good reason for the low seller's price. The shipping
for one 78 now costs me almost $25 USD. My well priced record now
becomes a high priced one. The terms are called the "eBay.com Global
Shipping Program" with an effective date of Sept. 12, 2014. You can go
here to see it:
https://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html
I am royally shocked. I have paid for and received 78s from Europe and
Britain since 2014 and never been hit so hard for shipping. Maybe it's
because I bought from individuals and the terms of the eBay agreement do
not seem to apply there.
This program stifles international commerce on a small scale (I'm sure
there are nice breaks for wholesale or bulk buyers/sellers) and is
seemingly discriminatory. Instead of promoting international trade it
effectively stifles it. The swine.
So, no more records for me from anywhere except the good ol' Ewe Ess Ay!
Comments?
Malcolm R