[78-L] of eBay and things

Jonathan Smith guyotsmith at aol.com.invalid
Tue Jan 15 14:21:06 PST 2019

It is so true that amateurs selling on eBay can give the entire enterprise a bad name. I'll never forget the horror of receiving a 78 I never saw before (and have never seen since) arrive broken in two, packed by someone who obviously had no idea as to what a 78 is. When the seller uses the word "vinyl" to describe most 78s, it's often a warning to beware.

As for the YouTube, I am generally disillusioned with folks who post 78s there. In my experience, many of these individuals enjoy posting but do not respond to even the most urgent pleas for information about their postings. As most people who know me are aware, the number one item on my long-standing want-list is Grey Gull/Radiex 2527 (presumably also Van Dyke 82527). I have never seen it and know of no one who has. Meanwhile, two different YouTube users posted a Bellbird issue of that recording, from Australia. I literally begged both of them, repeatedly, to simply give me the matrix number of that Bellbird 78. The response?  Silence. If they are too busy to respond to an urgent plea, how can they spare the time to post on YouTube?

The search goes on. I should add that, if I ever find the Grey Gull 2527 listed on eBay, I'll place a bid even if the seller doesn't know what a record is.

Best wishes to all,        Jonathan