[78-L] Titan pressings

Kurt Nauck nauck at 78rpm.com.invalid
Mon Jan 14 15:49:51 PST 2019

Ten years ago I posted a question on ARSCList concerning the white
crusty material that forms on the surface of 1930s Titan transcriptions
from the 1930s. I don't know if this is palmitic acid or something else,
but the records are not lacquers, so perhaps not. I'm not sure what the
records are made of - perhaps acetate? They resemble very thick
Victrolac pressings, but the substance that has leached out is drier and
crustier than the greasy material one usually finds on Victrolac pressings.

Any idea what it is and how to conveniently get it off? Physically, it
is easily removed with a fingernail, but I'm hoping for a faster solution!

Kurt Nauck

*Nauck's Vintage Records*
22004 Sherrod Ln
Spring, TX 77389