[78-L] The 78-L was down, it is now fixed.

ron at fial.com.invalid ron at fial.com.invalid
Wed Nov 21 16:06:20 PST 2018

Oops, the 78-L list server   (78online.com) seemed to be gone for several weeks.
The last post was on October 4, 2018.  I got a phone message from Kristjan Saag today
informing me of the problem.  Thanks, Kristjan.

Due to switching mail reader programs from Eudora to Pegasus Mail, my filters  were
sending renewal emails for the list's DNS lookup into a junk mail file. I never saw their
bill.  So easyDNS dropped the service, since the bill was not paid.

Also, emails from members about the list being down were also
going to my junk mail.   I never saw them, I get hundreds of junk mails per
day in that folder.

I run the 78-L server locally in our business server-room, and it was working fine
the entire time at IP address 50.196.1.216.    So I could go to that address and still
see the web page for 78-L and still send mail to that address.   But Internet lookup of
anything for the domain 78online.com was broken.  The host name of the server
(klickitat.78online.com) could not be looked-up to get its IP address.

The DNS service is paid and up and running now, but it will take an hour from now until all
servers worldwide are updated.  So in about an hour,  sending mail to 78-L at 78online.com
should work again.

I am very all, sorry for the inconvenience.

Ron Fial      ---   78-L list administrator

PS

For you old timers, you might enjoy seeing the very first web page for the 78-L list back in
1992 on the shellac.org/wams site.   This access from Cornell University was the original
web server:
   http://www.shellac.org/wams/w78l.html