[78-L] Discographies

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Wed Oct 3 12:53:54 PDT 2018

The search for reliable information about the early Aznavour recordings
has reminded me of how difficult it is to get access to good,
professionally made national discographies.
Most of us know about what's offered about US and UK recordings, and
also about jazz recordings in general, and I'm sure Dr Rainer E. Lotz
has covered all of the German output in all genres during the 78 rpm era.
But the magnificent treasure of French recording, apart from hot jazz -
is there anything printed about it that gets close to Rust's
"Entertainment" discography? The net offers very sparse, and very
unreliable listings.
I'd be interested to know more about this, not only from our French
contributors, but also from our Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Canadian and
other list members.
As for Scandinavia: The Swedish National Library has produced a pretty
impressive catalogue of acoustic recordings, as well as catalogues over
later 78 rpm recordings by the major record companies. None of them
available online, though. On the other hand: the Swedish National
Library has a good website service for all recordings they have, but, of
course, they don't have everything that's issued.
Kristjan

---