[78-L] Can't post Beethoven on you tube anymore - what???

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Fri Sep 7 07:07:26 PDT 2018

Inside the EU, at least, Sony can only claim copyright on recordings
made by companies they control. And if the recording is made after 1962.
If Sony happens to own the copyright of the composition/ lyrics it can
also claim copyright on that.
What may have happened in this case, as others have noted, is that the
youtube clip, Bach played by an amateur live, has been falsely
"recognized" by Shazam or some other mechanical service, as a Sony
Recording.
Kristjan