[78-L] Hum and Strum

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Sun May 27 14:18:32 PDT 2018

According to this biography Hum & Strum started to record in 1947 (18
sides for Stellar).
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Hum%20and%20Strum

At least some of the Copley issues may be reissues. See this list, for
instance, where
"Nobody Knows What Happened to McCarthy" and "If I Knock the 'L' out of
Kelly" are litsted both on Stellar and on Copley.
http://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/tamwag/aia_031_001/dscref14.html

Bridget O'Flynn" and "Steve O'Donnell's Wake" were issued on a Stellar 78:
https://www.discogs.com/Hum-Strum-Bridget-OFlynn-Steve-ODonnells-Wake/release/10201039

..and both songs are featured on a Copley 45:
http://www.45cat.com/record/nc999693us

Mx numbers can't be compared though - it seems Stellar used the
catalogue number as mx number.
Kristjan

On 2018-05-27 22:16, Donna Halper wrote:
> On 5/27/2018 5:56 AM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
>> The duo recorded a few 78's for the Copley label, but also 45's. And
>> the label (dedicated to Irish music) came along in the late 40's,
>> according to this: https://sfdhcatalog.wordpress.com/copley-records/
>> ...and this:
>> http://www.tedmcgraw.com/iweb%20published%20to%20computer/iWebSite2/OBD.html
>>
> Thanks for this, Kristian-- very, very interesting. But if correct, it
> still seems that Hum & Strum only recorded in the 1940s. I've long
> wondered if they ever recorded anything earlier...

---