[78-L] Spanish 33 1/3 shellack LPs from 1933

Inigo Cubillo ice261263 at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Apr 26 14:52:02 PDT 2018

More data on the subject...
David: answering your question, they are commercial issues, and original
recordings, not dubbed.

They bear these numbers and credits:

REGAL - Grabado VIva-Tonal. 33 1/3 Revoluciones por minuto
RKY-10001 -- Orquesta Viva-Tonal, Director: Mtro. Montorio
mx. no. (W)KY3-2    Marina (Arrieta) Fantasia.
mx. no. (W)KY4       Bohemios (A. Vives) Fantasia.

REGAL RKY-10003 -- Banda Viva-Tonal, Director: Mtro. Montorio
mx. no. (W)KY1-2    Las Hilanderas (J. Serrano) Fantasia.
mx. no. (W)KY2-2    Los Claveles (J. Serrano) Fantasia.

These are fantasias (=orchestral suites made of of excerpts) of well-known
spanish zarzuelas (a native style of operetta), played by an orchestra or
band assembled for the recording, and conducted by Daniel Montorio, a
conductor that was involved with Columbia for several years in many
orchestral recordings.

The first records of this series (RKY-10001 and 10002) were issued in late
1932/early 1933, as they are featured in a record review of a spanish
musical magazine (Musicologia, no.1, may 1933, page 15) issued once a month
in the period 1933-1936. The other two (only four were issued) must have
been issued later, I dont know when, as I could not find yet any more
reviews.  They appear in the first (re-founded) Columbia catalogue for 1936
(december, 1935) relabeled as Columbia RGLD-10000 to 10003. They still
appear in the 1942 catalogue, but not in later catalogues. No more were made
until the advent of the vinyl LP, which spanish Columbia started to sell in
1953.