[78-L] John Barrymore on Victor

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Tue Jul 4 17:00:15 PDT 2017

Is the list awake this fine American holiday evening?

Way back in 2011 Steve Ramm of The 78-List offered some cassette/book sets
about Philadelphia which some other folks produced using vintage records
from Berliner to Palda, and I got one of the sets.   It includes John
Barrymore reciting Hamlet's Soliloquy.  Nice transfer from a 78, and it
includes a string quartet background, just like the DAHR shows -
http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800017807/CVE-43632-Haml
ets_soliloquy

It also shows up on 60 Years of Music America Loves Best - Vol III - Red
Seal LM-2574, which I have had since it was new in 1961.  Also shows on DAHR
page as the same master.  The 60 Years disc has NO string quartet.  Anybody
know why and how that could be?  DAHR makes it look like it was all one
recording, but kinda seems the strings may have been dubbed in behind him.

Anybody know??

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles