[78-L] Shure M44G vs M44-7

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com.invalid
Sun Apr 9 15:28:41 PDT 2017

There have been many conversations about 78rpm playback equipment here, and
the preferred choice of cartridge among 78rom record collectors has (from
memory of previous threads) been  either the SHURE M44 or the STANTON 500.
I've ruled out the STANTON 500 due to its known problems with warped
records. So, the M44 would appear to be my preferred choice, but I suspect
modern day M44's are not the same as those produced decades ago and beloved
by 78rpm collectors.

SHURE are offering a model M44-7 and a model M44G. Both appear to be aimed
at the DJ'ing market. The M44-7 is said in at least one review to have
'enhanced bass'. It's hard enough getting the correct EQ playback for
pre-RIAA 78rpm records without having to also deal with a cartridge that
doesn't produce a flat response. So, I'm sceptical of the M44-7 - but SHOULD
I BE? Or would the M44G be a better choice?

There is also a SHURE model SC35C which is supposed to be a copy of the
original SC35 that was once the preferred choice of the BBC.  But again, I
suspect the current SC35C model is a far cry from what the BBC were using
back in the 1970's.

SHURE also offer a dedicated 78rpm cartridge M78S which appears to be a MONO
version of the SC35C. I don't want MONO forced on me, because any audio
restoration I choose to do is helped by the ability to work separately on L
& R channels. But since the (dedicated 78rpm cartridge) M78S is a mono
version of the SC35C, perhaps the SC35C would be a better choice than either
of the M44 models.

They are all listed here: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/phono

Can any list members offer their opinions of these current SHURE models?
That is the M44-7, M44G, and the SC35C.

Many thanks

Tim Huskisson.