[78-L] HMV listings?

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Thu Mar 9 13:32:00 PST 2017

Depends what you mean by "listing".
Our own Steven C Barr (sadly missed on this list) has a listing of
catalogue and mx number for UK HMV popular music labels up until the
1950's in his "The Almost Complete 78 Record Dating Guide" (no artists
or titles) and there's a listing of UK HMV Popular series issues in Paul
Pelletier's "Complete British Directory Of Popular 78/45 rpm Singles
1950-1980, vol. 1" with titles and artists, but no mx numbers.
Rust & Forbes list hundreds, if not thousands, of HMV releases from
1911- 1949 in their "British Dance Bands On Record" (full discography).
Useful for dating other issues on certain label series.
But, alas, non-jazz/ dance band issues on British labels are hard to
find in discographies...
Kristjan