[78-L] Kemp "Walkin' with Susie" WAS Kemp or Specht?

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Fri Feb 24 16:54:23 PST 2017

On 2/24/2017 4:04 AM, Julian Vein wrote:
> On 24/02/17 09:21, Inigo Cubillo wrote:
>> Who did sang the refrain on "Walkin' with Susie" by Kemp's Carolina Club​
>> Orch., in (w) 401826 c , recorded 1929 04 24 ny (issued in Okeh 41237),
>> also issued also in Spain as Odeon182.673? It is like all Kemp's vocalists,
>> with a very special voice and perfect diction... I believe that nor Rust
>> neither Steve Abrams (78 online discog) gave the vocalist name.. Someone
>> with good knowledge can identify that voice?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Inig Cubillo
>> Madrid, SPAIN
>    It's been reissued on Retrieval RTR 79025 - Hal Kemp The Hot Sides
> 1926-1931. The CD gives the vocalist as Skinn[a]y Ennis, but ADBORAF
> says Saxie Dowell, which seems to be correct.
>
>        Julian Vein
This is not Skinnay's voice. His is tonal, a gentle breathy tenor. Great
singer with some great sides, but had to have his voice orchestrated to.
He had no sustain.
Yup definitely Saxie Dowell's suthen accent. He was from North Carolina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=547vITxO47o

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.